Friday, June 20, 2008

Estes

Estes was a blast this year. Last year when I went I had just learned to spin on a drop spindle so this is my first year there since my wheel purchase and the beginning of my fiber addiction. We were promptly greeted by this cute Llama. Last year I didn't go into the animal tents. I was on a time crunch since I was there w/ dh and ds. They were off fishing but I knew I didn't have that much time so I only hit the vendor's tent. This year I saw it all. I just love the alpacas, if only I could convince my FIL to get a couple to inhabit his 5 acres. Or perhaps a vicuna?
I decided I was going to focus my spending on undyed fleeces and fibers since I have found so many cool dyed rovings, batts and tops on Etsy. The alpaca tent was the first tent we visited and there I found Carys. I wasn't sure if I really wanted to spend $50 on a lb. of alpaca, but it was so unbelievably soft and Carys had won several blue ribbons at other festivals....and there was the fact it was named Carys, also the name of my bf's (who accompanied me) daughter. So when we returned at the end of the day and it was still there I decided to take it home.
Up close.
This was my other luxury purchase. 4oz. of Vicuna. If you have never had the pleasure to feel how soft this fleece is you must. It is incredible. I plan to save this until I am able to spin a true lace weight and then will knit a scarf or small shawl w/ it depending on the yardage I get.
This is 4oz of BFL. I love the colors of it, with the pretty cream tips.
I would love to figure out how to knit the cute scarves I saw that used the locks on the end as fringe.
4oz. of mohair.
And this is shows what a difference a little bath makes. I tested a bit in a glass of water and it came out so beautiful.
Some more in grey.

Lilli the Angora bunny provided me with 2oz of divinely soft angora. I saw some gloves there knit with angora on the cuffs that looked really cute, I may have to make a pair w/ Lilli.
This is a blue ribbon Rambouillet and Corriedale cross fleece, 4lbs total.
Up close:
Dyed mohair locks, 4oz, this one is called Goth Passion. I did break down and bought these already dyed because they were just too pretty and well the name sold me.
And another 4oz. of Iris.

This is the fleece I split with another lady who was in the booth. It is a Shetland/BFL cross, about 3lbs total. I washed a bit and teased it. It has a little bit more VM than I care to deal with so I sent it off to Spinderella's Fiber Processing, and hopefully they can clean it up a bit and save me a little work. It is delightfully soft though.

It has a really nice staple length and crimp.
I also purchased 4oz. of natural bamboo, but failed to photograph it. So now I need to get busy and wash the fleeces, they are sitting in the closet along with my wedding dress and the smell is not pretty. (I also desperately need to take my wedding dress to be preserved). I can't wait to get my drum carder for my bday so I can blend some of the fibers and play with them.
In the meantime I have been keeping busy with my spinning. These are the singles from the Dogwood from Spunky Eclectic in my previous post.
I Navajo plied it and ended up with around 24o yds from 4oz.
It is soo squooshy! I love it!


Hope everyone has a great weekend! Happy Knitting. (and spinning)

No comments: