Saturday, April 7, 2007

Taos+Yarn=Love


We had the pleasure of visiting Taos for spring break. It had been 8 years since the last time I visited and the first as a knitter. And I must say my radar was keen. As we navigated our way to the house my ILs rented we passed through the charming Arroyo Seco. Even though it was late, and dark and my body was restless and my stomach full of road food (beef jerky, pumpkin seeds, bit o honey, diet pepsi...ya know the staples...but I digress) I managed to spot the beautiful glorious sign that read Yarn Store in back. Now I just had to wait till morning for it to open.


First we strolled the plaza in Taos, buying many tacky souveniers including two Indian head dresses, and then alas I was able to get my fix. Taos Sunflower yarns and fibers was a beautiful shop with a great selection of yarns. The Malbrigio almost had me locked in it's fiberous grasp. So tempted was I, but finally I made a selection and bought some beautiful Mountain Colors Twizzle in Ruby River. I wanted to buy something made there at the store but the one yarn I really liked was $35 for 17 yards. I don't know what I could make with that. So instead I bought 5 skeins of this lovely merino silk blend and hope to find a perfect pattern for it.