Saturday, August 1, 2009

It's been a long summer

And even though I've been less than 100% I have managed to get some things done. The great news is I fulfilled my New Year's resolution and have completed the Minimalist. I love, love, love how it turned out. I did full length sleeves instead of 3/4, I made it a bit longer and I did a i-cord frog closure.The best feeling is the compliments I have received from non-knitters on it. The frog closure I did with my little hand i-cord maker and then used the pattern from Knitting Over the Edge by Nicky Epstein. The button I received in a swap and I think it works perfectly. I wish summer would be over soon so I could wear it every day. I was actually pleased when it was chilly this week.
Yesterday I finished my Crosshatch Lace socks using my handspun Sherwood yarn. It is a a 60/30/10 Merino/Bamboo/Nylon blend. I had 315 yards and used size 1 needles and ended up with quite a large amount left over. Definitely enough for child's socks.

Now that these projects are finally complete I've moved on to knitting this sweater. The pattern is in a Tahki booklet for Nova yarn. I am using Debbie Bliss eco-cotton. I can't say I'm particularly fond of this yarn it is 10 plies of 2plies and is splitty as can be.


I am however quite please with how it is knitting up. I love the soft blue color. I hope I get it done in time to wear while it is still warm.

This is the fiber I am using to make batts to spin. I had made some for a swap and loved how they turned out so much I decided to card about 27 ounces to do a sweater. The fibers included a mohair wool blend, sw merino, tussah silk, Wensleydale locks and a merino/tencel blend.


I have run them through the carder twice and am pretty pleased with how they turned out. I am eager to see how they spin up.

And lastly this is the yarn I have spun this summer. I bought it at the Alpaca Festival this spring. It is a 80/20 llama/silk blend.

I think I will use it to make the branching out scarf, I have about 540 yards of it to work with. It is fingering weight.

I hope everyone is enjoying their summer and is getting lots of fiber arts time in. Right now I am sitting on my patio and enjoying the beautiful day.

No comments: